Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Found my new adventure


Old is new and new is old.... that kind of sums up how I feel right know. Last October I lost my job and have been looking for a new adventure ever since. I did a receive a number of great job offers just after I was let go, but they all required me to relocate. Unfortunately for personal reasons it was not something that I wanted to do. So I began to focus on the local job market and lets just say it was not pretty..... what to do?

I spent some time talking to friends and doing some basic soul searching. At the end of it, I decided to go back to something that I truly love doing, emergency medical services. Thanks to a very special friend who smacked me in the head and helped me realize that this was something that I had always enjoyed doing.

A couple of weeks ago I enrolled at Valencia Community College.  On May 9th I begin classes to become an emergency medical technician.

Although I am taking the EMT-Basic course, this won't be my first time. As mentioned, I was involved with emergency services before. I first got involved in 1979 when I joined Fair Lawn Heavy Rescue. In the late 80’s I moved to Norwood, NJ and joined Norwood EMS where I ended up becoming Chief. Throughout the years I got to work with some incredible people and learned so much.

New Jersey is primarily a volunteer based state, so I always had a second life working my ‘day job’ as I called it. About 10 years ago, I had an opportunity to move to Florida for my 'day job'.
When I left New Jersey, I let all of my certifications expire; note to self, don't do that again. So now its time to start over. Some may think I'm crazy for starting over, but I look forward to the challenges and opportunities that it will bring.

I found my new adventure.......

No comments:

Post a Comment